World Wide Knit in Public Day is coming to Capitol Park in Downtown Detroit! Join us on June 8 from 11 a.m. – 3 p.m. for some public knitting. Come join us for this FREE event. Knit or crochet in beautiful Capitol Park or show off the skills that you already have by joining us for a World Wide Knit in Public day!
We hope to create a work of fiber art that represents who Detroit makers are as a community. We ask that you bring a worsted or DK weight yarn to make a 4 in. x 4 in. swatch that represents who YOU are as an individual. These swatches will then be seamed together to create a work of local art!
Are you new to the world of knitting? No problem! We will be hosting a FREE learn to knit course where you will be provided with all the tools necessary to contribute to our community piece. If you’d like to learn to knit, please DM us to let us know you’re coming – we can’t wait to meet you!
Frequently Asked Questions
- Hey you jerks – I crochet! Can I still come? Of course! We would love to meet you. This is an international event, and as such we were kind of stuck with the name.
- Will there be food or drink at the event? There will not be food or drinks provided; however, Capitol Park is surrounded by great restaurants and coffee shops for refreshment.
- Can I bring my kids? Yup.
- Where do I park? There is street parking all around Captiol Park. The Z-lot parking structure is .2 miles away and is $10 for the entire day.
- I would like to learn to knit – how can I RSVP? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or DM us on Warmth Detroit’s Instagram or Facebook. We will give you all the tools – just bring yourself!
- Do I need to bring a chair? As of right now, no. Capitol Park has lots of Bistro seating available. We will notify those who are interested on Facebook if it is necessary to bring your own seating.